The Internal Revenue Service sponsors the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs. The mission of these programs is to provide free basic tax return preparation for low to moderate income and elderly taxpayers. This also includes taxpayers with disabilities, limited English proficiency and the Military. Free Tax Preparation Begins on February 2, 2013 for families whose income is less than $51,000, Yadkinville Public Library , Wednesdays and Thursdays 9:00 12:00, East Bend Library, By appointment only call (336)699-5100 Thursday 1:00-4:00 p.m. and Saturday 9:00- 11:00, Jonesville Senior Center; by appointment only call (33)526-1087 Tuesday 12-4. Sponsored by Yadkin Christian Ministries.
Friday, March 1
•5 p.m.-7 p.m.-Soup Supper at Deep Creek Community Center, 2130 Brawley Road, Yadkinville. Donations will be accepted.
Saturday, March 2
•Nicole Ducouer, WXII News Anchor, graciously lends her celebrity to help raise money for the ‘BAGS OF LOVE’ food ministry for children in Yadkin County in response to a “I Dare Ducouer” challenge extended by RagApple Lassie grandson, twelve- year-old, Jack Turner. Stimulated by the impact of the Feeding America BackPack Program, Frank Hobson’s cousin, Eloise Crissman, founded Bags of Love here in Yadkin County to provide 58 children at risk of being hungry with a bag of nutritious, kid-friendly foods to take home each weekend. Now in its third year, Eloise and her elves pack 610 items each week in the handmade bags made with love for hungry children and all donations collected on March 2 will go directly to this food ministry. Hence, you are cordially invited, by RagApple Lassie grandson, Jack Turner, to come meet Nicole Ducouer and enjoy a RagApple Lassie wine tasting of ten wines with owner, Frank Hobson, for a donation of $20, or more, to benefit, 100 percent, the Bags of Love food ministry. TC Montana, the immensely popular duo of App State Students, will also be here for your enjoyment.
Tuesday, March 5
•5:00 pm – 9:00 pm-Yadkin County Humane Society will hold a fundraiser at Taste of Italy located in the Yadkin Plaza Shopping Center. All you have to bring is your appetite, family and friends. If you can’t come in for a sit down meal - call your order in. Taste of Italy will donate a percentage of the night’s total sales, including call ins to YCHS.
Saturday, March 9
• 5:30- Gospel singing by the Enon Boys, chicken stew, vetegable soup, deserts, live auction, silent auction. This is a Relay For Life fundraiser to be held at Center United Methodist Church on Center Road in Yadkinville. Join us for a evening of great entertainment, fun and fellowship while supporting a great cause.
•6 p.m.-New Hope Pregnancy Care will be having our annual banquet. We are also celebrating New Hope Pregnancy Care’s conversion to a medical clinic offering limited ultrasound services. The celebration will be held in the Family Life Center of the Yadkinville United Methodist Church. A celebration supper and program will be provided. There is no charge for the event. Donations will be accepted. Doors will open and seating will begin at 5:45 p.m. Please make your reservation by March 5 by calling 336-679-7101 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, March 15
•7:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.-Blood Drive at Forbush High School.
Saturday March 16
•4:30 – 7:00 p. m. The Yadkinville Lions Club is holding a pinto bean supper at the Yadkinville Senior Center. There will be pintos, slaw, cornbread, drinks, and a dessert buffet. Take-outs are available. Profit from this supper will be used to provide glasses for people who can’t afford them. The cost is $5.00 and you can get tickets from any Lions member or call (336)677-8643.
Friday, March 22
•8 a.m.-1:30 p.m.-Blood Drive at Starmount High School.
• The Yadkin County Juvenile Crime Prevention Council (JCPC) announces the availability of funding to support services for delinquent youth and those at risk of delinquency. For more information and a copy of the Request for Proposals, see www.yadkincountync.gov
• Narconon reminds families that abuse of addictive pharmaceutical drugs is on the rise. Learn to recognize the signs of drug abuse and get your loved ones help if they are at risk. Call Narconon for a free brochure on the signs addiction for all types of drugs. Narconon also offers free assessments and referrals. 877-413-3073 or www.drugsno.com.
• Yadkin County Humane Society is looking for new members who would be interested in joining our organization. We are in need of active members who will be able to help us at fundraising events and rabies clinics. For the month of March if you join us your membership fee is waived. Please call (336) 679-2377 and leave a message if you have any questions about YCHS. If you love and care about animals, want to have fun, be a part of a fun organization and make a difference – you belong with us!
• 10:30 a.m.—Preschool storytime for ages 2-5 will be held at the Boonville Community Public Library every Thursday. This will consist of stories, songs, and crafts. For more information, call 367-7737. All of our libraries of the NWRL System has access of Ancestry.com for the year of 2012. Patrons can research the web through our libraries for the year. The Boonville Community Public Library is a branch of thirteen libraries of the Northwestern Regional Library System.
•6:30 p.m.-East Bend Happy Quilters Guild, Meets 2nd Tuesday of each month at East Bend Senior Center. For more information call (336)699-3970.
•10 a.m.-The Yadkin River Quilters meet at the Yadkin Senior Center every Tuesday.
If you are in need of clothing for your family members we would like to invite you to visit the Courtney Clothing Closet located in Building C of Courtney Baptist Church. The church is located at 3341 Courtney Church Road. The church is South of Yadkinville off Hwy 601 just pass the Yadkin Valley Telephone offices on Courtney Huntsville Road, then right onto Courtney Church Rd. The hours are Wednesdays 2-4p.m. and Thursdays 10 a.m.-4 p.m. For more information call the church at (336)463-2681
•We are searching for old photos of Lone Hickory July 4th celebration or other events held at Lone Hickory (ball tournaments, donkey ball game, etc.) If you have photos we can borrow, please call (336)463-2449 or 463-2439 as soon as possible. Photos will be scanned and returned to you.
•6:30 p.m.-Every Thursday of each week we hold a program called TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) weight loss program. Each program has special tips and techniques to help benefit losing those unwanted pounds. Meeting at your local Boonville Community Public Library. Any Questions please call 336-367-7737
•8 a.m.-New Horizons Adults Day Services is taking donations for their thrift shop, 1917 Old Hwy 421 W. Yadkinville. For more information call 677-1385
•6 p.m.-Bingo every Tuesday at the Yadkin Moose Lodge. ATTENTION: Effectively immediately! Monthly distributions of USDA Commodity Foods will no longer be distributed at the Moose Lodge in Yadkinville. They will now be distributed on an on-going basis through “partner agencies” of Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest N.C. Families needing food assistance will need to contact one of the following agencies: Divino Redentor Catholic Church, 209 Lon Ave. Boonville, 336-367-7067, Tri-County Christian Ministries, 440 W. Main St, Jonesville, 336-526-1089, Yadkin Christian Ministries, 121 W. Elm St. Yadkinville, 336-677-3080, Yadkin Christian Ministries, East Bend, 336-699-4544.
In Home Aid Services, New Horizons Home Care, Inc. is pleased to announce that the in-home aide services in Yadkin County funded through the Home and Community Care Block Grant for older adults is now provided by our agency effective July 1, 2012. If you think you or someone you know could benefit from these services, of if you have any questions about these services, please contact our offices by calling 677-3843. We are very excited about this opportunity and look forward to serving the older adults in Yadkin County.
Submission guidelines for calendar events:
One-time events may be submitted for placement in the calendar at least two weeks prior to the date of the event. Information should include date, time, place, brief description and contact information, if necessary. Calendars are published as space permits and do not run in every issue of the paper. If your submission is not showing, it is due to the chronological order of the events. Events to be included are at our discretion, and information is subject to editing. Send events to email@example.com.
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
Local Gas Prices