BOONVILLE — Firefighters responded to a two-alarm fire Wednesday morning at a duplex at 101 Johnson St., just behind the Divine Redeemer Catholic Church. There were visible flames coming from the roof of the two-unit apartment when firefighters arrived on the scene.
“Both units have some damage, one is damaged more than the other,” reported Boonville Assistant Fire Chief Nick Wylie. “We were able to salvage quite a bit of their personal belongings in some of the rooms.”
The residents of the apartment were able to escape from the building and were not injured. Wylie said the residents were checked out by EMS as a precaution. One firefighter did sustain some minor injuries and was transported to the hospital.
In addition to Boonville, units from Yadkinville, Fall Creek, Arlington, Courtney, West Yadkin and CC Camp fire departments responded to the blaze. The Yadkin County Fire Marshal is investigating, and as of Wednesday afternoon, the cause of the fire was undetermined.
Wylie said it had been a busy weekend for fire departments around the county. Boonville firefighters responded to a home fire on North Carolina Avenue on Sunday evening, and Fall Creek Fire Department, with assistance from other area departments, responded to a woods fire over the weekend as well.
Wylie said despite the rain on Tuesday, the area remains extremely dry and he encouraged area residents to be ever cautious and avoid discarding cigarette butts outside. A burn ban is still in effect for the county as well and there should be no outside fires during this time, Wylie said.
“We did get rain, but we didn’t get enough to get us out of the burn ban,” he said.
With winter approaching, home heating safety is another important issue of which Wylie wanted to remind people. Having chimneys checked and keeping items at least three feet away from space heaters are simple things people can do to ensure their home is heated safely during the winter.
“We see a lot of the same things, people don’t clean their chimneys out and they have things too close to space heaters. The other two leading causes of fire are unattended discarded smoking materials and unattended cooking fires. We always urge people to get online to the Office of the State Fire Marshal’s website, and we, and the other fire departments, post a lot of stuff on social media on what to check for, ‘cause there is a lot. It’s starting to get cold and people are trying to stay warm,” Wylie said.
Kitsey Burns Harrison may be reached at 336-679-2341 or on Twitter and Instagram @RippleReporterK.