Though summer is still in full swing, it won’t be much longer until area students are headed back to school. Yadkin Early College students will return to the classroom on Aug. 8. Students at the remaining elementary, middle and high schools in the county will return on Aug. 21. An opening day celebration for teachers and staff will take place at Forbush High School on Aug. 18.
“I am always excited about the beginning of a new school year because our students and teachers come back with a renewed energy,” said Yadkin County Schools Superintendent Dr. Todd Martin. “We have had several administrative changes so this is a time of transition for Yadkin County Schools. At the same time, I believe that all our folks will do a tremendous job. We are totally focused on improving student achievement in Yadkin County School and I can’t wait for our students to come back so we can get started.”
The following administrative changes will be in effect for the upcoming school year:
• Principal Dr. Jed Cockrell will move from Courtney Elementary to Starmount Middle.
• Principal Kelly Kirkland has moved from Forbush Middle to Yadkinville Elementary School.
• Forbush Elementary Principal Anthony Davis will now serve as principal at Forbush Middle.
• Jill Logan has moved from the curriculum and instruction director to principal of West Yadkin Elementary.
• Amy Rankin has moved from assistant principal at West Yadkin to principal of Courtney Elementary.
• Jeff Maglio has been hired as principal of Forbush Elementary after serving as principal of Gibson Elementary in Forsyth County.
• Chris Petree will serve as assistant principal at Starmount Middle and Starmount High School after previously serving only at the high school.
• Assistant Principal Dawn Huggins has moved from Starmount Middle to Forbush Middle.
• Abby Salas will be the assistant principal at West Yadkin Elementary.
• Wayne Duggins replaced Dr. Myra Cox as Yadkin County Schools assistant superintendent in February and will continue to serve in that role in the coming school year.
Kitsey Burns Harrison may be reached at 336-679-2341 or on Twitter and Instagram @RippleReporterK.