• Drawn to Animals – The Whimsical World of Fowler Ruffin, an exhibit of boldly colored acrylic of creatures large and small, sleepy sheep and critters with attitude opens Sept. 4, and runs through the end of October in the Welborn Gallery at the Yadkin Cultural Arts Center. A reception for the artist will be held at 6:00 pm on September 4. The public is invited. The Yadkin Cultural Arts Center is located at 226 E. Main Street in Yadkinville. Info: 679-2941 or yadkinarts.org.
• Children’s Clothing and Toy Sale at Center United Methodist Church, 1400 Center Road, Yadkinville, on Sept. 5 from 5 to 8:30 p.m. and Sept. 6, 8 to 11 a.m. Half Price Sale on select items on Saturday. Come choose from the huge selection of items that will be available. For further information on how to be a consignor, call 336-679-8247 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• 8 a.m., benefit for Shane Sparks at VFW Building, 3047 U.S. 21, Hamptonville. Yard Sale, silent auction, fresh BBQ plates with baked beans, slaw roll and dessert for $8.50, quilt raffle, 1987 Ford Mustang tickets are $20 for one or six for $100. All proceeds go towards helping Shane Sparks medical bills. For more information, call David and Sandy Baity at 336-468-8294.
• Monica Caudle Golf Benefit will be a golf tournament (three-person teams) at 2 p.m. at Silo Run, Boonville. Cost is $50 per person, $100 hole sponsor. To sign-up for golf, sponsor a hole, or donate a door prize, contact Kenny Davis at 336-469-1859 or email@example.com.
• Red Cross Blood Drive at Yadkinville United Methodist Church’s Family Life Center, located at 204 W. Main St., from 10 a.m. until 2:30 p.m.
Bingo Night Fundraiser hosted by the Forbush High School Athletic Booster Club at theYadkin Moose Lodge, 1432 Country Club Road, Yadkinville at 7 p.m. Snack food and drinks will be available for purchase. Get your tickets early from a Student Athlete or purchase at the door. Questions? Please contact FHS Athletic Director Burl Love at (336)961-4644 ext. 601 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, FHS Booster Club President Brenda Perrin at (336)926-8860 or email@example.com. Thank you for helping support the Student Athletes at Forbush High School! This event is not endorsed or sponsored by the Yadkin County School System.
• The third annual Glory Days Tractor Show for Mountain Valley Hospice will be held featuring tractor and lawnmower pulls, antique tractor and engine show, classic cars, antique race cars and new tractors. The event is at 2937 Radiator Road, Yadkinville. For more information, call 336-671-8094.
• Forbush High School Class of 1979 Reunion at 7:00 p.m. at RiverRidge TapHouse in Clemmons. For more information, visit http://lakey5.wix.com/forbush-class-of-79-.
• Forbush High School Class of 2004’s 10-year reunion will be held. Contact Emmy Matthews Corn at 336-469-0427 or firstname.lastname@example.org for registration information.
Oct. 7, 14, 21, 28
• 6 to 7:30 p.m., Home Instead Senior Care offering class at Yadkin Community Hospital for families caring for a loved one with with Dementia/Alzheimer’s. Small group setting, offering personalized support and encouragement. Class size limited. Please register by calling 336-366-7331.
• Yadkin Farmers Market open Tuesday and Thursday from 4 to 6:30 p.m. and Saturdays 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.. Located behind the Yadkinville Park off 601 on Tennessee street, good parking and shelter for vendors. Register each day for a drawing the last Tuesday of each month for a basket of goodies from the vendors. Thanks to all who support your local Farmers Market.
• Do you ask yourself these questions: how can I get my GED?, which college is right for me?, how can I apply and pay for college?, which career is best for me ? The Educational Opportunity Center can help. Stella Sprinkle Coordinator for Davie and Yadkin County 336-909-2755 or 1-877-532-0090.
• Whispers & Wings, 237 E. Main St., is accepting nonperishable food items for Yadkin Christian Ministries. Bring food items in, and be eligible for a monthly door-prize drawing.
• The Friends of the Boonville Community Public Library will sponsor 50 children with Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library. Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library provides age appropriate hard back books from birth through 4 years old each month. If you are interested in participating in the program, please visit the Boonville Community Public Library to complete a registration form. It is free to the family. All children living in Yadkin County are welcome to sign up. If you would like to donate to the Dolly Parton Imagination Library program, please see the Boonville Community Public Library or Smart Start of Yadkin County.
• The Yadkin County Human Services Agency is accepting applications for potential foster parents for Yadkin County children. Those interested in becoming a foster or adoptive parent, join the Model Approach to Partnerships in Parenting (MAPP) Training every Monday from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m., beginning March 3-April 28. This training is required for all prospective foster and adoptive parents. Participants must attend all the classes to receive a MAPP certificate. The MAPP Trainings will be held at the Yadkin County Human Services Agency (lower level of the Human Services building at 250 E. Willow St., Yadkinville). Call Yvonne Walker at 336-679-4210, ext. 7536, or email at email@example.com for more information or to enroll in the MAPP training.
• District 17 AA Meeting, Alcoholics Anonymous meets every Tuesday and Thursday in Yadkinville, Serenity Group, Closed discussion, 7:30 p.m., Methodist Church, 204 W. Main St., downstairs. For more information, call 336-386-8003.
• 6:30 p.m., the East Bend Ruritan Club will meet the second Thursday of each month at the East Bend Senior Citizens Building. Meeting is at 6:30 p.m. and meal is at 7 p.m.
• Yadkin County Humane Society is looking for new members who would be interested in joining. The group is in need of active members who will be able to help at fundraising events and rabies clinics. For the month of March, membership fee is waived. Call 336-679-2377 and leave a message for questions about YCHS.
• 10:30 a.m., Preschool storytime for ages 2-5 will be held at the Boonville Community Public Library every Thursday. This will consist of stories, songs, and crafts. For more information, call 367-7737. The Boonville Community Public Library is a branch of 13 libraries of the Northwestern Regional Library System.
• 6:30 p.m., East Bend Happy Quilters Guild meets the second Tuesday of each month at East Bend Senior Center. For more information, call 336-699-3970.
• 10 a.m., the Yadkin River Quilters meet at the Yadkin Senior Center every Tuesday.
• Those in need of clothing for family members can visit the Courtney Clothing Closet located in Building C of Courtney Baptist Church. The church is at 3341 Courtney Church Road, south of Yadkinville off U.S. 601 just pass the Yadkin Valley Telephone offices on Courtney Huntsville Road, then right onto Courtney Church Road. The hours are Wednesdays 2 to 4 p.m. and Thursdays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information, call the church at 336-463-2681.
• 6:30 p.m., every Thursday of each week TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) weight loss program is held. Each program has special tips and techniques to help benefit losing those unwanted pounds. Meeting is at local Boonville Community Public Library. For more information, call 336-367-7737
• 8 a.m., New Horizons Adults Day Services is taking donations for the thrift shop, 1917 Old Hwy 421 W., Yadkinville. For more information, call 336-677-1385.
• 6 p.m., bingo every Tuesday at the Yadkin Moose Lodge.
• Monthly distributions of USDA Commodity Foods will no longer be distributed at the Moose Lodge in Yadkinville. They will now be distributed on an ongoing basis through “partner agencies” of Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest N.C. Families needing food assistance will need to contact one of the following agencies: Divino Redentor Catholic Church, 209 Lon Ave., Boonville, 336-367-7067; Tri-County Christian Ministries, 440 W. Main St., Jonesville, 336-526-1089; Yadkin Christian Ministries, 121 W. Elm St., Yadkinville, 336-677-3080; or Yadkin Christian Ministries, East Bend, 336-699-4544.
Submission guidelines for calendar events: One-time events may be submitted for placement in the calendar at least two weeks prior to the date of the event. Information should include date, time, place, brief description and contact information, if necessary. Calendars are published as space permits and do not run in every issue of the paper. If your submission is not showing, it is due to the chronological order of the events. Events to be included are at our discretion, and information is subject to editing. Send events to firstname.lastname@example.org.