• A special program with Christmas music and stories with Janet Hutchens and Patty Grant will be held during STORYTIME for preschoolers December 5 at 10:00 a.m. at the library.
STORYTIME is an early literacy program specifically geared for preschoolers 2-5 years old. Preschoolers will be making Christmas crafts on December 12.
All STORYTIME programs are free and open to the public.
• The library will host an “Author Book signing” with Siv Ashley on December 4 from 12 p.m. -1 p.m.
Siv will be discussing her autobiography, A Teenager’s Survival: The Siv Ashley Story”, recounting her experiences as a Cambodian child in work camps. Copies of her books will be available for purchase and signing.
Dessert and water will be provided. Bring a bag lunch and enjoy this free informative program.
The library will have angel tree stockings and angels available through the Salvation Army for the children of families in need. Deadline for returning angels and items is December 9th to the Unifi Warehouse on Old 421.
For questions or additional information, please contact Sara Williams, Yadkin County Christmas Coordinator, at 336-817-7243.
• Those interested in tracing their family roots, or those that need help in learning to use Ancestry.com are welcome to attend a free workshop.
The workshop is on Thursdays from 1-2 p.m., volunteers J.E. Brown and Patricia Rogers.
The workshop is free and open to the public.
In addition, all NWRL libraries offer free access to the Ancestry.com Library Edition throughout this year. A link is available on all of our public computers for access any time.
• A beautiful collection of duck decoys is on display at the library through the month of November. These wooden decoys are handmade by John Nicholson, a Yadkin county resident living in the Enon community.
John is an artist who has won multiple awards for his carvings of birds, ducks and other feathered creatures. He reserves his carving to the winter months when he has lots of indoor time.
• The library is asking for donations due to hard economic times.
Continued budget constraints make it difficult to keep up with the demands.
The library encourages the public to consider donating time, money or resources through Library WishList. The tax deductible gift can benefit the whole community and enhance the services and materials they need.
Visit the library’s Facebook page and click on the “YCPL’s WishList” tab or visit the NWRL website at www.nwrl.org, click on the WishList button and click on Yadkin County Public Library.
• The Yadkin County Public Library has brochures available about the Affordable Healthcare Act. Explore the healthcare options with resources from the library.
Visit www.healthcare.gov for more information on exploring the Health Insurance Marketplace and how to get started.
• The library will be closed on Thursday and Friday for the Thanksgiving holiday. The library will reopen at 8:30 a.m. on December 2.
Yadkin County Public Library is a member of the Northwestern Regional Library system, comprised of libraries in Alleghany, Stokes, Surry and Yadkin counties. The library’s normal operating hours are as follows: Mondays and Thursdays 8:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. and Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.