RONDA — East Wilkes women’s tennis played host to rival Elkin Thursday night, and it was the Lady Elks who emerged victorious.
Each match was tight towards the beginning, but in all but one match, Elkin managed to pull away. Riley Wagoner gave the Cardinals their only match win in an 8-1 loss. Wagoner, the three seed on the team, battled through for a 13-11 win in the third set for the match win.
Amber Parks, the number one seed on East Wilkes, struggled in the first set, but was able to force a third set with a 6-7 (2) win. In the end though, Miracle Walters, Elkin’s number one, prevailed in the third set with a 10-6 win.
“Elkin players really handled themselves well throughout the match, particularly on the crucial points in the latter part of each match,” East Wilkes Head Coach Aaron Simmons said. “I am proud of the fight our team showed, but we were simply outplayed.”
East Wilkes moves to 2-2 on the season while Elkin continues a strong start at 3-0. Elkin’s next match is Tuesday night at 4:30 at home against North Wilkes (0-2). East Wilkes travels to Starmount (2-1) Tuesday night, also at 4:30.
1. Miracle Walters, E def Amber Parks, EW, 6-0, 6-7 (2), 10-6
2. Mattie Timmerman, E def Maddi Lester, EW, 6-1, 6-2
3. Riley Wagoner, EW, def Brianna Dreyer, E , 6-1, 6-7(4), 13-11
4. Morgan Randleman, E def Brook Schubert, EW, 6-4, 6-4
5. Kirstan Beaver, E def Brie Jarvis, EW, 6-4, 6-4
6. Emma Aldridge, E def Kar Hodges, 6-2, 6-4
1. Walters/Randleman, E def Parks/Jarvis, EW, 8-4
2. Beaver/Dreyer, E def Lester/Abby Reeves, EW, 9-7
3. Julie Neumark/Bianka Soos, E def Schubert/Melia Higgins, EW, 9-7
Ryan DeCosta can be reached at 336-258-4052 or via Twitter @rsdecosta.