Send events to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday at noon for the same week’s edition.
• A raffle drawing will be held for a $500 gift certificate from Foothills Meat Center in Jonesville. Tickets are $2 each. Proceeds benefit the YVEDDI Meals on Wheels program, with tickets available for purchase at area senior centers.
• 3 p.m., the Yadkin County Public Library, Yadkinville, will host a Make it, Take It craft program where people can stop in for a one-session project. Those participating need to call the library at 336-679-8792 at least two days prior to the craft session to ensure supplies are available.
• 9:30 a.m. to 10 p.m., the 28th annual East Bend God & Country Celebration will begin with a parade down Main Street at 9:30 a.m., followed by activities such as entertainment, food, crafts, children’s activities and more at East Bend Elementary School from 11:15 a.m. to 4 p.m., and an evening service at 6:30 p.m. featuring the East Bend Community Choir with guest speaker, the Rev. Marty Wood. Fireworks will be held at 9:30 p.m. behind the East Bend Senior Center.
• 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mountain Valley Hospice Palliative Care will host its Brighter Days Children’s Grief Camp at Dobson First Baptist Church, 204 S. Crutchfield St., Dobson. Registration is due by July 3. The camp is a healing retreat for children ages 5 through 18 who have lost a loved one. A variety of educational and recreational activities will be offered, all of which are designed to assist the campers in identifying, expressing and coping with their feelings of grief. The camp is free, but participants must register in advance. Those who know a child who would benefit can call Mountain Valley Hospice at 888-789-2922 or visit www.mtnvalleyhospice.org.
July 15 – 19
• 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., East Bend United, a network Of United Methodist Churches, will host “Rolling River Rampage – Experience the Ride of a Lifetime with God” Vacation Bible School for all ages, preschool/kindergarten, elementary, middle school, high school, college and adult. VBS will be held at Prospect United Methodist Church, located at 3541 Smithtown Road in East Bend. A meal will be served each night. Transportation is available, if needed. Call any of the affiliated churches: Baltimore UMC (336) 961-6055; East Bend UMC (336) 793-7284; Mt. Pleasant UMC (336) 699-3350; New Home UMC (336) 699-2288; Prospect UMC (336) 699-3350; Shady Grove UMC (336) 699-2288; Stony Knoll UMC (336) 793-7284.
• 10 a.m., The 2018 Richmond Hill Lecture on the Life and Times of Richmond Mumford Pearson (1805-1878), former Chief Justice of the North Carolina Supreme Court, will be held at Historic Richmond Hill Park, 4641 Law School Road, East Bend. Andrew L. Mackie will lead a discussion of the four-page flyer written by the late James Albert Hutchens, retired professor history, Surry Community College. This flyer explains the importance of Pearson’s life and why his home at Richmond Hill was worth saving. The lecture is free and open to the public. It is presented by the Yadkin County Historical Society and the Historic Richmond Hill Law School Commission. For more information, contact Andrew Mackie, 336-428-8471 or email@example.com.
• The annual Take a Break from the Interstate three-day yard sale event will be held along Historic U.S. 21 from Wytheville, Virginia, to Harmony, North Carolina, including the Yadkin Valley region. For more information, call 800-553-2322 or in Elkin, 336-526-3000, or visit www.takeabreakfromtheinterstate.com/us-21-road-market.html.
• 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., Yadkin County Chamber of Commerce will hold its inaugural Showcase Yadkin business expo event at the Yadkin County Agricultural and Education Building on the campus of the Yadkin Center of Surry Community College, 2051 Agricultural Way, Yadkinville. The expo will be from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. with a Chamber Business After Hours to wrap up the day from 4 to 6 p.m. To learn more about the cost to showcase a Yadkin business, contact the chamber at 3366-679-2200.
• The Yadkin County Preschool Program is currently accepting NC Pre-K applications for the following locations: Boonville, Courtney, Fall Creek and West Yadkin. Applications are available at the local elementary schools as well as the Central Office location: 121 Washington Street, Yadkinville, NC. If you have questions regarding preschool, please contact Kristy Groce at 336-679-2051 or Cheryl Stinson at 336-518-4174.
• Yadkin Farmers Market: Local, Farm, Fresh, 1141 Tennessee St., Yadkinville, behind town park and Papa John’s Pizza, is open Tuesdays from 3 to 6 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 1 to Oct. 13.
• The Yadkin County Beekeepers Association meets the second Monday of every month at the Yadkin Senior Center, 207 E. Hemlock St., Yadkinville, with 6 p.m. dinner and social, 7 p.m. guest speaker. All visitors interested in bees and/or beekeeping are welcome.
• 1:30 to 5 p.m., a Bible study, “Returning to the Roots of Our Faith,” is held at a home in Yadkinville on Saturdays. For more information, call Doug Mann at 704-807-4736.