Forbush soccer falls in conference game

By Kristian Russell -
Forbush fell to Surry Central, 3-0. - Kristian Russell | Yadkin Ripple

EAST BEND — The Forbush Falcons men’s soccer team hosted Surry Central in a Western Piedmont Athletic Conference matchup on Wednesday night. The Falcons were on a three-game winning streak, with wins over South Stokes, Davie and Carver. Forbush was looking to continue its streak, but Surry Central was the stronger team on the night.

The Eagles were able to put in one goal in the first half and two goals in the second half, while also recording a clean sheet, to take a 3-0 conference win over the Falcons.

From the opening kick-off to the final whistle, Surry Central was able to outplay the Falcons on both sides of the field. The Eagles were able to win every 50/50 ball that came their way in the midfield.

Forbush’s defense stood strong against the onslaught of Eagles, but at the 17-minute mark, Surry Central was able to find its first breakthrough of the night. The Eagles were on a breakaway and the ball found the feet of 11, who was able to score with a shot to the opposite side of the net. Surry Central took a 1-0 lead with the clock winding down in the first half.

As the half continued on, the Falcons were able to cross midfield three minutes later. 1 won the ball from an Eagle and took a shot that went just over the bar. The Falcons were able to build off of that shot to put another shot on goal with 10 minutes left in the half.

The Falcons put a screaming shot towards the Eagles’ goal, and just as it looked to be going in, the ball went just over the top of the goal. At halftime, Surry Central had a 1-0 lead over the Falcons.

As the sky darkened in East Bend, things on the field became darker for the Falcons. Surry Central came out of halftime with an upbeat tempo. The Eagles knocked in a goal off of a free kick with 34 minutes left in the game, then six minutes later they knocked in another goal off of a header to take a 3-0 lead over Forbush.

The Falcons tried to get the ball back on their offensive side of the half, but the Eagles were able to string together passes and outplay the home side. With time winding down, the Eagles scored their fourth goal of the night, but it was ruled no goal due to a hand ball.

Forbush only had four shots on goal in 80 minutes. When the final whistle blew, Surry Central recorded a 3-0 WPAC win over the Falcons.

Forbush is without two of their main players this season, Carson Davis and Sam Crews. Both players are suffering from season-ending injuries. Last season, Davis recorded several goals for the Falcons while Crews was a steady defender who stopped his opponents from scoring. The loss of both of these players has had an impact on the Falcons, who are playing this season with four freshmen. The young team is still learning how to mesh on the field and get a feel for their positions.

With the loss, Forbush moves to 6-7 overall and 1-1 in the WPAC. The Falcons will host Walkertown on Monday night in East Bend.

Forbush fell to Surry Central, 3-0. fell to Surry Central, 3-0. Kristian Russell | Yadkin Ripple

By Kristian Russell