Forbush soccer takes wins in first, second rounds

Staff Report

EAST BEND — The Forbush women’s soccer team continued its dominating 2018 season with wins in the first and second rounds of the North Carolina High School Athletic Association Playoffs. The Lady Falcons are ranked fourth in the 2A brackets with an overall record of 22-2-1. In the first round, Forbush put down a 4-0 win over Wheatmore, then in the second round, the Falcons took a 4-0 win over West Iredell.

Forbush 4 – Wheatmore 0

The Falcons started off the NCHSAA playoffs with a 4-0 win over Wheatmore in the first round. Forbush put down two goals in the first half, and two goals in the second half to take the win.

In the opening 40 minutes, Forbush had shot after shot on the Wheatmore goal. The Falcons were finally able to break through in the 13th minute, as Olivia Davis put the ball into the back of the net. Davis’ goal was assisted by Marley Martin and Hannah Davis.

Forbush continued crashing the goal as the first half went on, and in the 39th minute, the Falcons put another goal in the net. Cortney Myers was able to break through and knock in the second goal of the night off the assist of Laura Sloan. The goal gave Forbush a 2-0 lead heading into halftime.

In the final half, Forbush knocked in two additional goals to secure the win. Megan Smith and Emily Marcincavage each put in a goal for the Falcons. Smith’s goal came in the 49th minute, while Marcincavage’s goal came in the 52nd minute. Forbush was able to hang on for the final 28 minutes to take a 4-0 win and move on to the second round. Forbush had seven corners and 23 shots on goal in the first round of playoff action.

Forbush 4 – West Iredell 0

In the second round of the 2A playoffs, Forbush hosted West Iredell (14-6-3, 8-3-1) on Friday night. The first half saw both teams crash the goal, but neither team was able to score.

In the second half, things started heating up for the Falcons. Marcincavage was able to knock in the first goal of the night with a powerful shot from the top of the 18-yard box.

The shot lit a fire in the Falcons, as another goal was scored with 27 minutes left in the game. Forbush kept shooting and put in two more goals before the final whistle blew. As the half came to an end, Forbush had taken a 4-0 win over the Warriors to move on in the playoffs.

The Falcons hosted fifth-seeded Hibriten (20-2, 11-1) on Tuesday night in the third round. Results were not available by press deadline.

Staff Report